The Northern Block is seeking an additional Font Developer to join our award-winning team in Newcastle Upon Tyne both in-house and remotely. The successful applicant will work on an exciting range of projects that will help to improve our font collection and further establish our client base. The font developer should demonstrate a track record of producing high-quality work across a variety of typeface design projects.
Candidates should have a minimum of two years experience in type design, computer programming and hinting and be open to learning a broader level of skills in the font industry.
- Visual check and assessment of designs for consistency and accuracy.
- Running automated technical check reports.
- Amending font designs as required.
- Output of final font formats.
- Perform final checks.
- 2+ Years experience in font development, programming and hinting
- BA or MA in Type Design, Computer Programming and/or Software Engineering
- Comfortable with Mac OS/X Glyphs (and possibly FontLab).
- Experience of AFDKO (and possibly VOLT and VTT)
- Experience of the OT font specification and font table structures.
- Experience of the structure of font formats (OTF, TTF, WOFF, WOFF2)
- Experience of Python in Glyphs and/or FontLab.
- Experience of Google font tools (Fonttools, Fontmake, Fontbakery.)
- Understanding of how font development works within a foundry
- Can demonstrate you are a team player
- You must be eligible to work in the UK. Travelling to our office on a regular basis would be advantageous.
- Experience of working with Non-Latin scripts
- Experience of working on Custom and Corporate Jobs
- Excellent proficiency in English (reading, writing and speaking)
- Ability to critique the work of others; and be open to critical feedback
- Ability to work as part of the foundry team, and also remotely unassisted
- Understanding of cloud-based working using tools such as Dropbox and Trello
The Northern Block values diversity in the workplace and actively seeks applications from as wide a range of candidates as possible In-line with UK employment law. The Northern Block are currently only considering applications from those who have the right to work in the UK.
Please send an email to with a brief introductory letter why you would make a good font developer for The Northern Block. Also include your current CV including 2 professional references, 3 best font development projects in PDF format and your current salary expectations. Previous applicants need not apply.
October 10, 2019